The ranking was published by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, which had already awarded Bosco Verticale as the world’s most beautiful skyscraper in 2015.
This recognition is first and foremost an award to experimentation in architecture, rewarding the idea that living nature can become an essential component of the architecture of the future, an essential component of our cities.Stefano Boeri, architect
What has become a symbol and a model of sustainability and excellence in the world received, once again, international recognition. This award further consolidates Porta Nuova and Bosco Verticale as Italian examples of innovative architecture worldwide, incorporating new solutions to ensure sustainability.Manfredi Catella, founder and CEO of COIMA SGR
Bosco Verticale is located in the Porta Nuova district, at the heart of one of the most important urban regeneration projects in a European historical centre. The two green towers overlook the 10 hectares of the Biblioteca degli Alberi of Milan, known as BAM. The park is the first example in Italy of a public park managed by a private organisation, the Riccardo Catella Foundation, which is in charge of managing the green space, an important element reconnecting the entire Porta Nuova area.
Bosco Verticale, designed by Boeri Studio (Stefano Boeri, Gianandrea Barreca, Giovanni La Varra) and built and managed by COIMA, is among the tall buildings that have added the most value to the city and its urban community. Furthermore, since its creation, Bosco Verticale has become a reference point for buildings subsequently developed that integrate a botanic element into their architectural body.
The complete list of the 50 most representative skyscrapers of the last 50 years includes only four others that, together with Bosco Verticale, were completed in 2014: two are in London, one in Chile and one in Australia.
- 1 Bligh Street (Sydney) – Completed in 2011
- 30 St Mary Axe (London) – Completed in 2004
- 333 Wacker Drive (Chicago) – Completed in 1983
- 4 Times Square (New York City) – Completed in 1999
- 550 Madison Avenue (New York City) – Completed in 1983
- 601 Lexington (New York City) – Completed in 1977
- 875 North Michigan Avenue (Chicago) – Completed in 1969
- Al Bahar Tower 1 (Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates) – Completed in 2012
- AMA Plaza (Chicago) – Completed in 1972
- Aqua at Lakeshore East (Chicago) – Completed in 2009
- Bahrain World Trade Center 1 (Manama, Bahrain) – Completed in 2008
- Bank of America Tower (New York City) – Completed in 2009
- Bank of China Tower (Hong Kong) – Completed in 1990
- Bosco Verticale Torres (Milan) – Completed in 2014
- Burj Al Arab (Dubai, United Arab Emirates) – Completed in 1999
- Burj Khalifa (Dubai, United Arab Emirates) – Completed in 2010
- CCTV Headquarters (Beijing) – Completed in 2012
- Commerzbank Tower (Frankfurt am Main, Germany) – Completed in 1997
- Doha Tower (Doha, Qatar) – Completed in 2012
- Hearst Tower (New York City) – Completed in 2006
- Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Headquarters (Hong Kong) – Completed in 1985
- International Commerce Centre (Hong Kong) – Completed in 2010
- Jardine House (Hong Kong) – Completed in 1973
- Jin Mao Tower (Shanghai) – Completed in 1999
- Linked Hybrid Tower 1 (Beijing) – Completed in 2009
- Lotte World Tower (Seoul, South Korea) – Completed in 2017
- MahaNakhon (Bangkok) – Completed in 2016
- Marina Bay Sands Hotel (Singapore) – Completed in 2010
- Mode Gakuen Cocoon Tower (Tokyo) – Completed in 2008
- National Commercial Bank (Jeddah, Saudi Arabia) – Completed in 1983
- One Central Park (Sydney) – Completed in 2014
- One World Trade Center (New York City) – Completed in 2014
- PARKROYAL on Pickering (Singapore) – Completed in 2013
- Pearl River Tower (Guangzhou, China) – Completed in 2013
- Petronas Twin Towers (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia) – Completed in 1998
- Post Turm (Bonn, Germany) – Completed in 2002
- Salesforce Tower (San Francisco) – Completed in 2018
- Shanghai Tower (Shanghai) – Completed in 2015
- Shanghai World Financial Center (Shanghai) – Completed in 2008
- TAIPEI 101 (Taipei, Taiwan) – Completed in 2004
- The Leadenhall Building (London) – Completed in 2014
- The Lloyd’s Building (London) – Completed in 1986
- The Shard (London) – Completed in 2013
- Torre Costanera (Santiago, Chile) – Completed in 2014
- Torre Reforma (Mexico City) – Completed in 2016
- Tour First (Courbevoie, France) – Completed in 2011
- Transamerica Pyramid Center (San Francisco) – Completed in 1972
- Turning Torso (Malmo, Sweden) – Completed in 2005
- U.S. Bank Tower (Los Angeles) – Completed in 1990
- Willis Tower (Chicago) – Completed in 1974
Boeri Studio (Stefano Boeri, Gianandrea Barreca, Giovanni La Varra)
Bosco Verticale Landscape Design: Emanuela Borio and Laura Gatti
Interior Design: COIMA Image
Aesthetic Supervision of works: Davor Popovic
Design phases: 2006 – 2008
Investor: Qatar Investment Authority
Asset Management: COIMA SGR
Property Management: COIMA Srl
Construction phases: 2008 – 2014
Design development: Gianni Bertoldi (coordinator), Francesco de Felice, Alessandro Agosti, Andrea Casetto, Matteo Colognese, Angela Parrozzani, Stefano Onnis
Schematic design and PII: Frederic de Smet (coordinator), Daniele Barillari, Marco Brega,
Julien Boitard, Matilde Cassani, Andrea Casetto, Francesca Cesa Bianchi, Inge Lengwenus,
Corrado Longa, Eleanna Kotsikou, Matteo Marzi, Emanuela Messina, Andrea Sellanes
Structures: Arup Italia s.r.l.
Facilities Design: Deerns Italia s.p.a.
Detailed Design: Tekne s.p.a.
Landscape Design: Land s.r.l.
Infrastructure Design: Alpina s.p.a.
Building Management & Supervision of Works (DL) 2008-2012: MI.PR.AV. s.r.l.
Building Management & Supervision of Works (DL) 2013-2014: Studio Ing. Giorgio Ceruti
Cost, Time & Tender Management: J&A Consultants s.r.l.
General Contractor 2008-2012: ZH General Construction Company S.p.A.
Main Contractor 2013-2014: COLOMBO COSTRUZIONI S.p.A.