This new specialist sports building will support the University of Solent’s ambition to increase its profile and standing in the British Universities and Colleges Sport league and enable excellence for the teaching of sport, health and fitness related degree programmes.
ArchitecturePLB was instrumental in facilitating a stakeholder engagement process to help refine the brief and steer the project – located in a sensitive heritage setting opposite a listed park – successfully through the planning process.
Facilities include sports halls, fitness studios, a health and wellbeing gym, strength and conditioning gym and high quality teaching facilities.
Once complete, Solent's new sports building will comprise of:
- Two sports halls (including performance, events and multipurpose facilities)
- Two fitness studios and spin studio
- General purpose gym (accessible by the public)
- Strength and conditioning high performance gym
- Health and fitness, and personal training teaching gyms
- Sports and exercise therapy clinical space.
- Limited parking will also be available underneath the building.
Part of an ongoing £100 million estates development plan transforming Solent’s East Park Terrace (EPT) campus to improve and modernise the University, the new sports building facilities will support and enable excellence in sport, health and fitness related degree programmes and associated teaching and research.