The new dwelling will replace a derelict block of garages in the rear garden of a pair of Gothic Villas located on Fitzjohn’s Avenue, described by Harpers Magazine in 1883 as ‘one of the noblest streets in the world’.
The idea of creating the new dwelling was born by Kyson whilst working on the overall restoration of the Gothic Villas; a project that incorporated a structural glass infill and the reinstatement of historic features following the deterioration of a 1950’s makeover.
Tackling arboriculture restraints and tricky planning issues such as ‘back-land development’, amenity, car-parking, design and massing the planning process took a little over 18 months, finally being consented by a unanimous planning committee at Camden’s Town Hall.
The proposed dwelling takes the form of a discreet but elegantly detailed slate clad box partially submerged beneath the ground. Contained within a two storey glazed insertion the living accommodation splits the volume, creating a series of gardens and courtyards of varying hierarchy; a raised terrace at ground level leading to a secluded lawned garden, a South facing Zen garden and a sunken courtyard accessed by the bedrooms.
The solidity of the architecture is broken along the northern flank by a living green wall that softens the divide between public and private amenity space and integrating with landscaping of the garden beyond