After seven years of working closely with the ministry in a creative partnership, NBRS+PARTNERS has completed a light and airy ministry centre in Australia. The completed design is transparent, welcoming, and engaging forming a key piece in the fabric of a Sydney 1920’s suburb. The street elevation is a storyline of an uninterrupted church community amongst a backdrop of terracotta cottages.
Entering the complex there is a feeling of openness evoked through the manipulation of volumes and purposeful sun protected fenestration and breathing through generous wide span glazed louvers. Particular attention has been given to the detailed connectivity of glass and honest materials against the sensitive heritage fabric.
The play of junctions and creation of space allows a contemporary church to sit comfortably as a contextual fit. The spaces imagined and created intelligently crafted and aim to set a benchmark for public church design. It is hoped that the contemporary light-filled space will breathe new life into the community for the next 100 years.