Left unoccupied for many years, parts of the building’s structure had become slightly dilapidated; the original 1893 configuration, however, had barely changed since its original inception. Located on the edge of the conservation area, an area rich in history, the building is sited at the end of a block, with a street frontage on three sides. Conran & Partners were charged with creating a small-scale hotel with a personal character that would interact with the streetscape and revive a flagging area of the city.
The Boundary Project was a challenging one from the outset, since it involved converting a locally listed Victorian warehouse. It was decided that the scheme could only move forward financially with the addition of a two storey roof extension to house 5 further duplex hotel rooms, and main plant space – thus freeing up the spectacular basement and ground floors as front of house space.
Designing the extension in context with the existing building meant carrying out careful studies of appropriate materials and details; we used pre-patinated copper which gives a high level of detail and natural material, whilst providing a strong visual contrast with Victorian brickwork. The extension required extensive structural works; working closely with Techniker structural engineers, and the main contractor, piling rigs were lowered through existing pavement lights into the basement and 18m deep piles were drilled around each column.
Each of the bedrooms in the hotel has an individual design, with some rooms expressing particular design movements or influences and others created by contemporary design figures including Sir David Tang, Priscilla Carluccio, Vicki Conran, Polly Dickens and Terence Conran.