Belgian architects Samyn and Partners have won an international competition to design the extension to the Headquarters for the Council of the European Union in Brussels. The original palace complex was built between 1922 and 1927 by the Swiss architect Michel Polak. The extension will house the new headquarters of the expanded EU and will accommodate the summit meetings, other high-level meetings together with the offices of the Presidency and the General Secretary of the Council. A new double facade, made of a patchwork of re-used wooden windows with simple crystal like single glazing (from the different European countries) is intended to symbolise the cultural diversity of the European Union. Structural engineering is by British firm Buro Happold.