WAN Urban Challenge 18 Symposium, London, United Kingdom
Architects: WAN Urban Challenge
A new opportunity opens up on our high streets
A more creative range of retail businesses are meeting the new demand for a different kind of shopping experience
The ongoing failure of our high streets is creating a huge opportunity for forward thinking businesses. As our town and city centres are reconfigured following the closure of numerous retail outlets a fresh range of businesses have a chance to be involved in new look high streets. Increasingly shoppers are looking for an experience instead of an exhausting trawl around the shops. A more creative range of retail outlets are meeting this demand by offering wine tastings, cookery classes and even butchery classes in one example in New York.
As part of the ongoing debate surrounding our new look high streets WAN are hosting an evening Symposium event taking place at 18:00 on 20th September at the NLA in central London.
BOOK NOW to secure your place at the Reclaiming the Streets Symposium, where the WAN Urban Challenge Task Force will present a Manifesto for Change to a live audience of over 100 city representatives and key stakeholders from the built environment providing a 'blueprint' for the streets of the future. Participants will discuss the issues at hand with a panel-lead debate and Q & A sessions.
See the winners of the global ideas competition HERE.
Speakers at the Symposium include...
- Cllr Feryal Demirci, Cabinet Member for Neighbourhoods, Transport & Parks, London
- Brian Kilkelly, Development Lead, Climate-KIC
- Pierfrancesco Maran, Deputy Mayor of Milan
- Peter Murray, Chair, New London Architecture
- Thor Nelson, Senior Urban Designer, Washington D.C.
- Fiona Robinson, Futures 2050 Programme, Milton Keynes Council
- Demetrio Scopelliti, Urban Planning Department, Municipality of Milan
- Hamish Stewart, Co-Founder, London Car Free Day initiative
- Raj Suresh, Urban Designer and Architect, Atkins
- Eric van der Kooij, Sr. Urbanist, City of Amsterdam
- Maria Vassilakou, Deputy Mayor of Vienna
- David Vega-Barachowitz, Senior Urban Designer, NYC Department
- Olivia Walker, Head of City Development, Bosch Mobility Solution