The tallest building in Western Canada moves ahead in the revitalised Edmonton Alberta Ice District
Stantec, the award-wining global architecture and design firm known for designing with community in mind is helping transform a unique Canadian community. In one of its latest ventures, the architecture and design firm is transforming Edmonton, Canada with the addition of Stantec Tower in the city’s rapidly evolving downtown area. Standing tall at 251m, Stantec Tower will be the tallest building west of Toronto and the second largest office tower in Canada.
After years of being recognized as an underdeveloped area, Edmonton is set to create an entirely new identity for itself. The next-generation community is part of the City’s downtown revitalization project known as the Edmonton Alberta Ice District. Canada’s largest mixed-use sports and entertainment project is already underway and will feature a public plaza, offices, condos, retail, a casino, restaurants, and a JW Marriott – the first hotel built in the area in more than 30 years.
The Stantec Tower, fully designed, engineered and managed by Stantec is a mixed-use, retail, office, and residential tower in the epicentre of the evolving Ice District. The 251m tower features expansive views of the surrounding area and 66 stories of both residential and office space for the area’s sophisticated, younger demographic. The first 19 floors will be home to the new Stantec headquarters housing 1,700 employees. The top 36 floors feature 454 apartment units.
Amenities include a spa, yoga room, poker and game rooms, saloon bar with golf simulator, solarium, outdoor BBQ area, fire pits, a demo kitchen, and even a salon for pets. There will also be 360-degree glass solariums available.
Additional Stantec Tower details:
- Tallest building west of Toronto
- Project cost: $500m
- 1m sf of space and will stand 250 metres
- Architecture and Interior Design by Stantec
- Stantec’s new headquarters will occupy 19 floors and house 1,700 employees
- PricewaterhouseCoopers will have two floors
- 28 floors of offices – opening in 2018
- 454 residences on top 36 floors – opening 2019
- Units range from 490 sf for studios up to 1,300 sf for 2/2
- Residential Amenities: spa, yoga room, dog salon, poker room, game room, saloon bar w/ golf simulator, solarium, BBQ area, fire pits, demo kitchen.
- Retail Space – opening in 2018
- Designed to be LEED Gold certified
Ice District Quick Facts:
- Largest mixed-use sports and entertainment district in Canada
- Future home of the Edmonton Oilers hockey team,
- Rogers Place sports and entertainment venue,
- JW Marriott Edmonton,
- Winter Garden, 24,000 sf public event space with pedway connection to hotels, residences
- 60,000 sf Grand Villa Edmonton Casino
- CinePlex Theatre