J. MAYER H. und Partner, Architekten and Rubner Holzbau design temporary pavilion for 300th anniversary of Karlsruhe
So the legend goes, Charles III William, Margrave of Baden-Durlach awoke from a dream of founding a city in 1715. After a dispute with his existing capital of Durlach, the Margrave of Baden-Durlach founded Karlsruhe which stands today as the second largest city in the state of Baden-Württemberg, Germany.
In 2015, the city will celebrate its 300th anniversary with a summer-long festival full of concerts, theatre performances, film screenings and exhibitions. A temporary pavilion designed by J. MAYER H. und Partner, Architekten and Rubner Holzbau will be erected in the Schlosspark to host these public events.
The design of the KA2015 Pavilion is inspired by the geometric-radial layout of the city. It is thought that Karlsruhe was used as a reference point when planning Washington D. C. (founded 1791) given that the two operate with a similar model - a central point from which the streets radiate outward.
This pavilion will act as the central point for activities within the Schlosspark with its staged auditorium and café offering a range of social and entertainment opportunities. Internally the space is formed of layers, including exhibition platforms, resting spaces and viewing platforms throughout the wooden construction.
Planung: J. MAYER H. und Partner, Architekten
Project Architect: Sebastian Finckh
Project Team: Juergen Mayer H., Georg Fassl, Maxim Margorskyi
Client: Stadtmarketing Karlsruhe GmbH
Realisierung: Rubner Holzbau GmbH, Augsburg
Gebäudetechnik: Ingenieurbüro Jicha, Neidenstein
Lichtplanung: Lichttransfer Katrin Soencksen, Berlin
Veranstaltungstechnik: MegaForce, Weingarten/Karlsruhe
Ausstattung: EinsPlus Karlsruhe, Ettlingen