Silverstone embarks on an ambitious development to reinforce its position at the heart of UK motorsport
Silverstone, home of the 1948 inaugural British Grand Prix, has embarked on an ambitious development of its famous 850 acres to reinforce its position at the heart of UK motor sport.
Further site developments were required to ensure sustainability and future British Grand Prix's being held at Silverstone. Key to this was the development of a new Pitlane and Paddock complex, intended to be the catalyst for an integrated approach to regenerate an underutilised facility by the development of a site wide development strategy.
The new proposed master plan included the preliminary planning for a revised motor racing circuit, incorporating as many features of the existing track as possible whilst providing enhanced driver challenges, new core spectator facilities including corporate grandstand, associated leisure/commercial/community facilities, technology park and hotel and conference facilities.
The new 360 metre long pit & paddock building spans the length of the new pit lane between Club and Abbey corners. The building's dramatic, continually changing roofline responds to the speed and tension inherent in racing itself. Its end point, delicately poised at the circuit's new final corner, reaches toward the skies. The structure has dual functionality; above the garages, the hospitality areas provide quiet, climate-controlled surroundings with unbeatable views of the split-second timing strategies at play below. Large numbers of teams, media and hospitality guests can be catered for to the highest of standards during Blue Riband events.At other times, the sustainable approach to the design allows exhibition, conferencing and educational spaces to run simultaneously above a fully operational racing circuit.
New spectator facilities, corporate grandstands, commercial and leisure opportunities, a technology park and on-site hotels will complement the year-round venue. Populous have created this pioneering landmark as a bespoke symbol of Silverstone's aspirations and the catalyst for the excitement of all its future visitors.