Award winning architects Theis + Khan to remodel Wanstead United Reform Church
The grade II listed United Reform Church has an interesting history; designed by architect John Johnson it was originally located in Kings Cross and completed in 1861. Due to the extension of the Midland railway line into Kings Cross the church was relocated to Wanstead, Essex and rebuilt between 1866 and 1867 to John Johnson’s modified design.
Theis + Khan were successfully awarded the commission in February this year to reorganise the interior of the church and restore the Neo-Gothic external fabric. The commission marks the second church project to start on site for the practice, the first being the critically acclaimed ‘Lumen’ in Bloomsbury.
Theis + Khan are hopeful that the internal works will be granted planning permission in January 2011, with a view to starting on site in July 2011. The reorganisation works involves raising the floor to both the Church building and Cromwell Hall so they are on one level. A new kitchen and accessible toilet facilities will also be installed.
A sliding and fixed glazed screen is proposed between the Narthax and Worship space in the main church building. This allows both spaces to be used simultaneously in response to the clients brief to incorporate flexible use of the existing space. A new staircase and platform lift are proposed to allow universal access to the Gallery level.
The addition of storage and seating units to the North and South aisles allows the new stackable seating to be stored away. Overall the scheme aims to transform the church building into an engaging modern place of worship for both existing church members and the broader local community.