Victorian hospital turned university injected with new life
careyjones architects and The University of Sheffield have successfully completed their latest venture together – the refurbishment of one of Sheffield’s most treasured buildings - the Victorian Wing of the old Jessop Hospital for Women.
The Jessop Building, as it will now be known, is situated on Leavygreave Road in the Portobello area of the city. Restored by contractors Kier Northern, structural engineers Buro Happold and architects careyjones, the Grade II listed building covers a total of 1540 sq m over three floors and will provide teaching space, office space and a computer studio for the University’s Department of Music.
The sensitive careyjones design involved reinstating and repairing many of the existing features of the building, as well as adding new features. These include a new entrance to the rear of the building and TECU bronze cladding also to the rear. The TECU bronze will weather over the next few months, further complementing the colours of the original building.
All works to the external facade have been carried out in accordance with the recommendations of the Planning and Conservation Officer and have included cleaning brick and stonework, stone replacement works, stone repairs, building a new disabled ramp, new sash windows with sash cords and the creation of a bay window for a ground floor teaching room.
Internally, the Victorian decorative fibrous plaster wall and ceiling mouldings have been renovated and the ornate stone staircases and dark corridors have also been transformed, creating a light spacious environment.
The Jessop Building is the latest in a series of University developments in the Portobello area of the city including Soundhouse, another careyjones design.