The much anticipated expansion of the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art will open to the public on Saturday 9 June 2007.
The new building was designd by renowned architect Steven Holl. The slender, elongated building runs along the eastern edge of the campus and provides a delicate counterpoint to the original 1933 Beaux-Arts building. Five lenses constructed of twin layers of glass walls emerge from the ground and create a luminous, undulating interpaly between architecture and landscape. The new 165,000 sq ft expansion increases the Museum space by more than 70% and features five distinct levels of expansive, light-filled galleries. Visitors will find a new main lobby, Museum Store, Museum Cafe and Spencer Art Reference Library.
The new Bloch Building is part of a bold strategic plan to greatly increase the Museum's role in the community and region, with a continued commitment to keep admission free every day for all visitors. The overall vision includes expanded programming, an incrase in studio classrooms and educations resources, and a strengthened that supports those initiatives. To view the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art go to www.nelson-atkins.org
View larger image
View side image
View alternative image
View interior image