Eric Parry Architects complete the new Music School at Bedford School
The new £3 million Music School was built on the site of the existing house used as a music school, to the south of the listed school chapel erected by J F Bodley in 1908.
The Music School is a complex of Recital Hall, with rehearsal rooms connected by the glazed street to the teaching wing. The Recital Hall, designed to seat up to 120 faces the playing fields, with an elevation of alternating glass and stainless steel panels. The hall is flexibly designed to accommodate the daily changing uses of the Music School.
Communication between performers and the audience is paramount. To realise this, the acoustic of the Recital Hall is appropriately reverberant, responsive, warm and enveloping, giving the audience a sense of the spatial relationship between members of the ensemble. Acoustic insulation from adjacent teaching spaces is also of a high standard.
Prior to completing the Music School project Eric Parry Architects also designed the Bedford School Library, which was opened in 2003.