Kevin Kennon Architect PC receives final approval to move forward with the restoration renovation, conversion and enlargement of 157 Hudson Street
The existing three-storey building located in the Tribeca North Historic District is bordered by Hudson, Laight and Collister Streets and has been vacant for more than two years. The new five-storey, 75,000 sq ft multi-family building will consist of 17 loft apartments averaging 3,000 sq ft each. A two-storey rooftop addition totaling 16,300 habitable sq ft will contain three individual residences, set back from the parapet to remain hidden from the street and from the nearby Holland Tunnel. The generous setback from the parapet of the historic building will allow for a remarkable combined 8,000 sq ft of outdoor and garden terrace spaces for the entire rooftop addition.
A magnificent 4,500 sq ft fifth floor duplex penthouse crowns the new construction with an innovative combination of brick, glass and steel. Kennon weaves transparent glass “cubes” throughout the exterior of the fifth floor penthouse in order to create a greater sense of space and light within the residence. Designed from the inside out, the rooftop aerie is strategically arranged so that the volumes of glass shift and play according to the domestic functions within, but also cedes visual dominance to the historic building façade below. The fourth floor addition underneath will be a completely bricked arch structure comprising two individual residences.
As part of the preservation and renovation of the building, the warehouse’s wooden joists, made of pine dating back to 1898, will be restored and recycled into the flooring of the new lofts. Numerous objects found during the renovation process, including historic signs, stonework, and piping will be incorporated into the building’s interior design and artwork, allowing residents to feel a sense of the building’s and New York City’s history.
Built in 1866 and expanded in 1898, 157 Hudson Street originally housed the horse stables of the American Express Company. The initial use for the building was to deliver packages and telegraphs via American Express stagecoaches.