Foster and Partners' first zoological building marked its groundbreaking today
The Elephant House sets new standards in zoological design, poviding the animals with a stimulating environment. Replacing a structure dating from 1914 the Elephant House is covered with lighweight, glazed domes to provide natural light, the spaces maintain a strong visual connection with the sky and changing patterns of daylight. Broad public viewing terraces give a fantastic view over the herd paddock. The colours and textures convey a sense of the dry riverbed as found at the edge of the rainforest, with mud holes, scattered pools of water and shading objects, the new Elephant House will be a place where the animals can play and interact naturally.
View larger image here
View different image