Tuesday 04 Jun 2013
Christopher's, an American restaurant and Martini Bar housed in a Grade II listed building in the heart of London's Theatreland, has become a much loved institution with a loyal following. De Matos Ryan were appointed by the owners to refurbish the interiors, restoring the original architectural features of the building to create sophisticated dining spaces from which the food and cocktails could take centre stage.
The sumptuous new interiors hark back to a bygone era of glamour and revelry, celebrating the ornate and exceptional character of the existing building, which was built in 1860 and reestablished in 1870 as London’s first licensed Casino.
The Martini Bar is conceived as a theatrical and atmospheric drinking parlour, with a palette of materials expressing the rich patina and alchemy of cocktail mixology. Features include a 6.6 m onyx sharing table which offers at-the-bar drinking and upholstered banquettes tucked under a canopy of dark sumptuous teal buttoned velvet, which offer a more intimate experience. The main focal point of the room is a gold mirrored and brass-clad bar. Bottles are displayed against a faceted smoked gold mirror backdrop cut with the repeat abstracted motif of a martini glass which is animated by a dynamic installation of suspended lights.
The dining room has expansive windows and two-tone grey panelled walls, framed by a theatrically lit silver gilded ceiling cornice and accented by flashes of warm gold velvet in grey leather upholstery. The furniture is bespoke and includes individual soft back dark wood chairs and booth seating, carefully arranged to create intimacy within the larger dining space and maximise magnificent views across Waterloo Bridge from the smaller dining space. The room is lit by slender black metal wall and ceiling lights designed by Serge Mouille.
A clubroom and bar in the basement shares the design language of the main spaces, incorporating mirror lined walls and a brass-clad bar so that the spaces are distinct yet unified. The entrance hall sets the tone with its charcoal grey walls, restored marble floor and domed ceiling highlighted with warm silver ornament.