Zizzi Worcester, UK
Tuesday 08 Jan 2013
Originally the Bishops house - the cathedral is next door - this four-storey Grade 2 listed building that sits in the centre of Worcester is very much a local landmark. Mainly dating from 1820, the house has an imposing Georgian façade and a grand oak staircase.
Although most of its original features had been long removed, the Conservation Officer was keen to retain and restore what was left. The original Elm and English Oak floors were carefully restored throughout, as well as retaining or replacing the original fire places, panel doors and architraves. We restored and re-polished the grand staircase to its former glory.
The concept, as always with the Zizzi brand, incorporates the best of the history of the locality. This includes links to the Cathedral, and the famous composer Edward Elgar, whose father owned a sheet music and instruments shop in the town.
We drew inspiration from the Worcester's famous porcelain, the oldest newspaper in the world, Berrow's Worcester Journal, and the Glove manufacturers that had operated until the late 20th Century.
The design embraces the original layout of the building, and makes the most of the contrast between the historical and the modern extension. Links to the Cathedral are reflected in the contemporary full height tree installations, and a Cathedral Reading Room turned through 90 degrees.
The links to Elgar and Worcester Porcelain are reflected in the bar and piano rooms, with sheet music on the tables, and illustrations on the entrance lobbies and walls. Up the stairs the glove manufacturers timber hands point your way up to the toilets and private dining room, both of which continue with musical references, including the illustrations by James Grover and Eleanor Percival.
Another successful addition to the Zizzi brand, the restaurant was immediately adopted by the City and has already become one of the most popular Italian restaurants in town.