Monday 13 Dec 2010
ANZ Centre invites the public into the heart of its workplace
Located in Melbourne's Docklands and completed in March 2010, ANZ Centre houses 6,500 people - as many as a small town. The design for the landmark building is based on the concept of an ‘urban campus', focused around a central ‘common'. The inclusion of this permeable public space within the workplace brings stakeholders and the community into the organisation's heart, creating a lively ground-level hub including cafes, public art and visitor centre. This demonstrates a bold new direction for a banking institution seeking to balance the need for security and transparency.
Locating the work floors around the central atria maintains a high level of visual connection between the public ‘common' and the workplace - reinforcing the day-to-day connection between the ANZ population and the community it serves. A cross section of employees - including graduates and younger generation employees - helped shape the design as part of an extensive consultation and research program.
The result - a flexible, open plan office space - inspires ANZ's diverse workplace community today and anticipates its future needs. Expansive floorplates are configured to maximise daylight penetration, promote collaboration and accommodate varied work styles. Approximately 55% of the work area is shared collaborative space with the remaining 45% dedicated desk environment. Five vibrant and distinct hub types are distributed across 44 individual hub spaces that connect quiet working zones. The majority of the workspace is characterised by robust, high quality finishes in a neutral palette while the hubs are conceptual and distinctive to respond to the diverse and dynamic workplace community.