ABOUT THE AWARDS
We're awarding 13 categories, divided into two distinct sections: Interior Projects and Products. If you think your designs have what it takes to make the shortlist, we're searching for the most innovative and groundbreaking design solutions in the following categories:
- Residential interiors - from single-use homes to multi-occupancy residencies, private houses including country houses, chateaux, castles and apartments
- Workspace interiors - including offices, studios, call centres, factories and banks. The Awards will be judged in two sub categories: Workspace interior projects less than 10,000 square metres will be judged separately to those greater than 10,000 sq. m.
- Retail interiors - including retail outlets, shopping centres, stores, showrooms and pop-ups. The Awards will be judged in two sub categories: Retail interior projects less than 200 sq. m. will be judged separately to those greater than 200 sq. m.
- Restaurants - fine dining, multiple restaurants, cafés, canteens, pop-ups or fast food outlets and street food. Restaurants in a hotel, retail or transport space.
- Bars - stand alone bars, nightclubs and members' clubs, multiple bars or pubs. Bars in a hotel, retail or transport space.
- Hotels - new build, conversion, restoration and refurbishment projects
- Leisure or entertainment venues - theatres, concert halls, spas, health clubs, gyms, salons, cinemas, stadiums and sports centres
- Museum or exhibition spaces - museums, galleries, temporary and permanent exhibitions
- Public sector - schemes for civic, transport, education or healthcare projects, hospitals, schools, colleges and universities, spiritual centres, libraries, parliamentary buildings and embassies
- Lighting Projects - ranging from small cafes, shops, interior and exterior installations, through to major retail developments, public buildings, residential projects, hotels and workplace lighting.
- Lighting Products - interior luminaires, lamps and exterior lighting products
- Furniture - public, leisure, domestic or office furniture - designed for public areas in both public and private sector including outdoor furniture, chairs, tables, cabinets, desks, stools, sofas
- Interior accessories - including wall and floor coverings, decorative objects, sanitary ware etc.
Architects, designers, developers, contractors, clients and associated organisations on behalf of architects and designers from around the world are all invited to compete. The condition for taking part is that projects entered have been completed on or after 1st January 2011. There is no limit on the number of projects that can be submitted. Projects can also be submitted in more than one category where relevant. Judging will take place in July 2014. Shortlisted entrants will be notified and announced week commencing 04 August 2014.
Projects: The jury will judge entries on a number of factors
including originality, innovation, form and special quality, sustainability
and context, but the following two areas will carry the most weighting:
- How the design has addressed key elements of the client brief.
- How the design has used an innovative approach to integrate and enhance its context within its environment / community.
Products: The judges will be looking for designs that are helping to shape the future of interior design, whilst keeping within the boundaries of commercial viability and sustainability. Another key factor will be the quality of the presentation; how the architect or designer conveys his or her ideas to the panel.
A long list of entries will initially be selected after the closing date. Further details of these projects will then be requested, including plans, sections, elevations and more technical information. From the long list, a shortlist will be selected before an overall winner is chosen.
Benefits of entering
Entrants will receive considerable media coverage and have their work showcased to our global community of over 220,000 architects, designers, developers and clients – boosting both their profile and their commercial potential. In fact, many of our award winners have testified that the global exposure gained contributed significantly to their business success. Plus, all winning and shortlisted entries will be published in a Special Winners issue of INSIDE, our monthly round-up of the latest news, views and issues from the world of interior design.
The entrance fee is £250 GBP per project (298.88 Euros, USD 408.97, AUD 457.40, CAD 434.07).
20% Early Bird discount applies until 14 March - £200 GBP. (239.08 Euros, USD 327.12, AUD 366.06, CAD 347.28)
Submission format and guidelines
The format for the initial submission is as follows:
Text summary: 300 – 400 words
1 main image: at 622 x 412 pixels or larger (1000 pixels wide maximum)
5 additional images: at 622 x 412 pixels or larger (1000 pixels wide maximum)
Text summary: Include information about how your design addresses the judging criteria above. The size and completion date must be properly declared.
Images: If submitting your entry online, you can upload the small version of the main image, the larger version and 5 additional images using the upload form in 'Backstage'. Submissions by email should be sent to: email@example.com Please send images in jpeg format and text summary as a Word doc or Adobe pdf. Where possible, please send text summary as continuous text, not bullet points etc.
You are invited to submit your entry online - you can do this via the 'Enter Now' button on the WIN Awards homepage HERE. If you are already registered you will be able to click 'login' and use your email and password. If you are registering for the first time you will need to click the 'Sign Up' button and complete the registration form. You will then receive a sign up confirmation email. (Please check your spam folder if you do not receive this immediately.) To log in to 'Backstage', you simply need to use your email and chosen password. Once logged in, you can submit your entry using the 'Purchase Credits' link on the left side of the login page - use the drop-down menus to select the appropriate category and number of projects you wish to enter, then click 'Submit' - check your billing details are correct, then click 'Continue' - this will take you to a secure page. Click 'Proceed' and enter your card details, then click 'Confirm Order', then 'Authorise'. Once payment is complete, click 'Continue' to return to you login page. You will now have credits which you can use to upload your project as a competition entry. You will also receive an automatic invoice via email, again please check your spam folder if you do not receive this immediately. Please note that when you upload your project, it will not immediately appear on the website as this has to be approved by one of the team here at WIN.
Submitting your entry by email
Alternatively, you can submit your project by email and send payment by cheque or bank transfer.
We will send you an invoice with all the details you need to make payment. Please email submissions and direct any questions or problems regarding entries and registration to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please make cheques payable to WAN and send to the address:
World Architecture News
The Media Centre
15 - 17 Middle Street
UK entries please add VAT
For further information on how to enter these prestigious awards, contact Liz Naven on email@example.com or call +44 (0) 1273 201 117.
The closing date for the WAN Interiors Design Awards is 06 June 2014
Part of World Architecture News, the global resource for architecture
© World Architecture News 2014
Registered office Brighton Media Centre, Suite 103, 15-17 Middle Street, Brighton, UK, BN1 1AL.
Registered in England number 4476064