SEARCH IN BRIEF

 
Neues Museum on Berlin’s Museum Island opens

In the presence of the Federal Chancellor Angela Merkel, the Neues Museum officially reopened today. From tomorrow, the building will be accessible to the public for the first time in 70 years.

Built between 1841 and 1859 by the architect Friedrich August Stüler, extensive bombing during the Second World War left the building in ruins, with entire sections missing completely and others severely damaged. Few attempts at repair were made after the war, and the structure was left exposed to the elements. In 1997, David Chipperfield Architects - with conservation specialist Julian Harrap - won the international competition for the rebuilding of the Neues Museum.

Following the design phase, construction started in 2003. In the months after the official handover on 5 March 2009, the Egyptian Museum and Papyrus Collection, the Museum of Pre- and Early History as well as some objects of the Collection of Antiques were installed. Together with the famous bust of Nerfertiti in the North Dome room, the Neues Museum will display almost 9,000 objects over approximately 8,000m².

The Neues Museum is one of five projects to have received the BDA Preis Berlin 2009.

See images here

IN BRIEF
Friday 16 October 2009
Robert A.M. Stern Architects issues 2015 RAMSA travel fellowship: call for proposals
Wed 28 Jan 2015
First 21st Century Pavilion to debut at the 56th Venice Biennale in 2015
Wed 28 Jan 2015
RHWL joins Aedas
Wed 28 Jan 2015
St George welcomes NAWIC to Battersea Reach
Fri 23 Jan 2015
Architecture for Humanity files for bankruptcy
Wed 21 Jan 2015
Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners announced their new office, releasing the film ’The Leadenhall Building’
Wed 21 Jan 2015
HOK Completes acquisition of 360 Architecture
Thu 15 Jan 2015
Broadway Malyan celebrates first built project in the Americas
Thu 15 Jan 2015