A shortlist of six teams has been announced for the Flinders St Station Design Competition. Advertised through WAN, the competition invited architects to reimagine the historic station and its surrounding area in an effort to preserve its heritage and improve transport functions.
The shortlist is as follows:
- Aston Raggatt McDougall (Melbourne)
- John Wardle Architects + Grimshaw (Australia + UK)
- HASSELL + Herzog & de Meuron (Melbourne + Switzerland)
- NH Architecture (Melbourne)
- Eduardo Velasquez + Manuel Pineda + Santiago Medina (Columbia via University of Melbourne)
- Zaha Hadid Architecture + BVN Architecture (UK and Melbourne)
Minister for Major Projects Dr Denis Napthine commented: “This competition has always been about finding the best local and international talent to re-invigorate Melbourne’s iconic Flinders Street Station precinct and looking at this shortlist I think we’ve managed to do that.
“Between them, this group is responsible for some of Melbourne and the world’s most renowned buildings including Hamer Hall, Beijing’s National Stadium used in the 2008 Olympics and Rome’s Museum of XXI Century Arts.”