Global shortlist for Museum of Modern Art and TR Warszawa Theatre competition
A shortlist of fifteen practices has been selected from thirty-five submissions to a design competition for a new cultural complex in Warsaw. The 26,000 sq m scheme involves the design of a 15,000 sq m space for the Museum of Modern Art (€6.5m budget) and an 11,000 sq m facility for the TR Warszawa Theatre (€3m budget). The two institutions will be overseeing the design competition in partnership until a construction permit is acquired.
The designated site for the complex is located on the north side of Plac Defilad, near Marszalkowska Street in Warsaw. Entrants were challenged to submit multi-disciplined design documentation and infrastructure for the project, with the contract including preliminary studies, conceptual design and building design. The competition was advertised by WAN’s Business Information Service (view brief).
The fifteen shortlisted practices range from modestly-sized local teams to large international practices. Design work is due to continue into mid-2016 with construction on the entire project estimated for completion by the end of 2019.
The shortlist is as follows:
1. C.F. Moller Denmark A/S, Niras A/S [Denmark]
2. Van Berkel en Bos U.N. Studio B.V. (working as: UNStudio) [Netherlands]
3. BLOND&ROUX architectes [France]
4. Thomas Phifer and Partners [USA]
5. Inzbud Tomasz Trepka: arch. Andrzej Kadluczka, arch. Krzysztof Barysz, arch. Piotr Obracaj [Poland]
6. WXCA Spólka z o.o. / WXCA Group Spólka z o.o. [Poland]
7. PAS PROJEKT ARCHI STUDIO Slawomir Golenko [Poland]
8. JSK Architekci Sp. z o.o. / nsMoonStudio Sp. z o.o. [Poland]
9. PROCHEM S.A.: arch. Jacek Jedynak, arch. Andrzej Maslowski, arch. Andrzej Kikowski [Poland]
10. ‘Studio A4’ Spólka Projektowa Sp. z o. o. / Estudio Barozzi Veiga S.L.P. / AIR Jurkowscy - Architekci Sp. z o.o., STALKO Sp. z o.o. / STALKO Kaczmarek S.J. [Poland/Spain]
11. Biuro Architektoniczne Kaczmarczyk: arch. Andrzej Kaczmarczyk, arch. Sylwia Bartoszewska, arch. Joanna Zabinska [Poland]
12. Henning Larsen Architects A/S [Denmark]
13. Fiszer Atelier 41 Warszawa Sp. z o.o. [Poland]
14. Foster + Partners Limited [UK]
15. schmidt hammer lassen architects [Denmark]