New architectural landmark for Innsbruck
Located close to the center of Innsbruck, The Exhibition Centre plays a decisive role in the urban context of the surrounding historic quarter of Saggen. The historical hearth of the Exhibition Centre is a hall - originally constructed for the Expo in Prag - made of a light framework in cast iron, which was later on translocated to Innsbruck for the Tyrollean Landesausstellung 1893. Over the years the site has grown to a 40,000 sq m area with a heterogeneous mixture of different types of halls and buildings that were no longer up to date and no longer met today's requirements in many ways.
The new Exhibition Centre, opened in 2012, emerged from an architectural competition which was won by a team of two aspiring architectural offices; Cukrowicz Nachbaur and Bechter Zaffignani, both from Bregenz, Austria. The winning concept was based on the conservation of the old hall - restored to its original shape and dimensions - an identity-forming initial point of the urban renewal of this area.
In addition to the modifications, adaptions and renovations of all existing exhibition halls a new single-storey hall was attached right next to the historic hall. In top of this new hall an other volume, orientated in its dimensions to the historic hall, with a restaurant, meeting rooms and foyers is overhanging the lower part. A translucent skin made of perforated copper-coloured aluminum sheets is wrapped around the new building, covering all the glazing that provide wide views to the surrounding environment.
A remarkable design element is the 25m overhanging hall, marking the new main entrance to the Exhibition Centre. The architecture is overlaid with an expressive guidance system from Büro Uebele of Stuttgart, Germany.