Renovation and expansion work at Wormser in Rhineland-Palatinate continues intergration of circular and square spaces
After three years of construction efforts, the Gerkan, Marg and Partners (gmp)-designed Culture and Conference Center at The Wormser in Rhineland-Palatinate is now complete. The new extension is a sensitive interpretation of the postwar modernism seen in the existing 1960s structure, following the key stylistic features of the Spiel und Festhaus Theater. This theatre has also undergone a dramatic renovation; the existing 1960s building was built on the ruins of the original 1889 building which was destroyed during the Second World War.
The Spiel und Festhaus Theater follows the concept of a circular hall in a cube-shaped envelope, a theme that has been picked up by the new Cultural and Conference Center. The hallway inside the new building has a square ground plan within a circular foyer, while externally the cubic hall stands out at roof level as a square with a glazed clerestory. gmp has taken care to unite the two buildings by sweeping the new structure to the old in a single curved motion, further elaborating this union between circle and square.
Continuing the contemporary interpretation of the 1960s structure, the Culture and Conference Center sports projecting, balcony-style external galleries at first-floor level, a large-scale glass façade in the foyer and a cubic composition with the encapsulated drum of the auditorium. Capable of holding up to 800 visitors, the interior of the Spiel und Festhaus Theater can be adapted to fit the changing demands of the facility. The flexible space can easily be partitioned to meet demands and is supported by a foyer, catering facilities, exhibition areas and additional conference rooms.