Dramatic tubular sculpture is centrepiece for Goodwood Festival of Speed 2010
Capita Symonds’ Structures team provided structural engineering design for the striking central sculpture at this year’s Goodwood Festival of Speed over the weekend. The scarlet display – sponsored by Alfa Romeo to celebrate the company’s centenary – was designed for the event by renowned sculptor Gerry Judah. The structure’s design, which is reminiscent of the car giant’s Quadrifoglio badge and the red livery of its racing cars, features an Alfa Romeo P2 (a P2 won the inaugural Automobile World Championship in 1925) and a 2003 8C Competizione.
Standing at 18.5m high and 25m across, the sculpture is made from 12 tonnes of steel. Although it appears to be 175 metres of continuous tube twisted into position, it actually consists of thirty two precision sections of 323.9mm diameter steel. The steel sections also had to fit together seamlessly first time, with no opportunity for mistakes or second chances.
It’s the sixth year in a row that the Capita Symonds team has worked on the structure. The team’s role was to develop the artist’s sketches into a three dimensional shape that balances aesthetics, structural soundness and practicality to build. Main contractor services including steelwork fabrication, installation and finishing, were provided by Littlehampton Welding.
A new sculpture is created for the festival each year. As with its predecessors, it only remains for the duration of the festival and is dismantled soon after. The Goodwood Festival of Speed in Chichester, West Sussex is one of the world's biggest and most diverse celebrations of the history of motorsport. Featuring famous cars and famous drivers, the festival is a hugely popular social and sporting occasion in the motor racing calendar.