Oldest international stadium in the world reopened in Dublin
The Aviva Stadium, previously called the Lansdowne Road Stadium, hosted its first game of international rugby in 1878. After extensive design work by global architects Populous and Dublin-based architects Scott Tallon Walker, the Aviva Stadium has now been officially reopened. The 50,000 seat stadium will be used for international rugby and soccer fixtures and as a concert and events venue.
Commenting on the opening, Ben Vickery, Senior Principal of Populous said: “There are some buildings which are a pleasure to be a part of and Aviva Stadium is definitely one of those special moments. We have striven to design a stadium worthy of the sporting occasions that will take place within it, as well as create a building that works in harmony with the local community and environment. The bold design of Aviva’s roof creates the image of the sky coming down to meet the ground in a reflective crystal bowl.”
The design for the Aviva Stadium was specifically formulated to be sensitive to the surrounding area. The north end of the Aviva stadium has a dramatic dip to the roof and seating to allow sunlight to the houses immediately behind, and likewise at the south end to provide daylight to the buildings along Lansdowne Road. The environment and sustainability were a prominent part of the design process with rain water collected to irrigate the pitch and waste heat from the generators used to heat the water for the toilets. The glass and polycarbonate cladding are designed to flood the public areas of the stadium with natural light and the escalators are fitted with sensors to ensure they only run when people are standing on them.