XVII century Tower restoration revealed
La Torre de la Gavina dates from 1763 and is part of a set of typologically similar defensive watchtowers erected on the coast of the Balearic Islands, between the sixteenth and eighteenth centuries.
It is a conical volumetric building with a diameter of less than 12.35 meters and a maximum height of 8.74 meters, which distributes its program on two levels and functional upper platform. The first floor is the main camera, covered by a hemispherical vault of 3.20 meters in radius, and the access door facing northeast. The floor is solid at its northern end, while in the south is the stock and magazine. The platform consists of an open space bounded by a continuous parapet from where it gets a major visual depth.
The term intervention carried between April 2007 and June 2008 has sought to act on what is most relevant to ensuring the overall integrity of the monument, allowing the building to express all that time has given it, perpetuating its character and identity.
Except for fences practicable, of which no references were available, they used the same materials and construction systems as those used in the original construction. These materials are primarily local limestone masonry, lime mortar and local sandstone (sandstone). Have been restored only those elements which have suffered a deterioration significant enough to be unable to continue to develop its role in the whole building, and demonstrated clearly the parts or areas in which it had intervened on the original substrate.