The UrbanBuzz conference, ‘Reality of Creating Sustainable Communities Conference’, Tuesday 2nd December at One Great George Street in London. The engaging one-day event will feature key figures from across industry, politics and academia who will explore the actions necessary opportunities to improve the way we shape our communities.
Confirmed keynote speakers (in alphabetical order) are:
• Peter Bishop; Group Director, London Development Agency and University College London (UCL) Honorary Fellow
• Professor Tim Broyd; Group Technology Director, Halcrow and Chair, UrbanBuzz Programme Board
• Professor Malcolm Grant; President and Provost, UCL
• Sir Bob Kerslake; Chief Executive, Homes and Communities Agency
• Roger Madelin; Joint Chief Executive of the Argent Group plc
• Sir Simon Milton; Deputy Mayor of London
• Professor Alan Penn; The Bartlett Faculty of the Built Environment, UCL and UrbanBuzz lead academic
• Sunand Prasad; President, Royal Institute of British Architects
• Bill Rammell MP: Minister of State, Lifelong Learning, Further and Higher Education.
• Nick Raynsford MP, Deputy Chairman, Construction Industry Council
• Dr Jean Venables OBE, President, Institution of Civil Engineers
The reality of creating sustainable communities conference will also mark the culmination of the two year UrbanBuzz project which has been led by University College London. UrbanBuzz supported by the Higher Education Funding Council of England has been working with 28 different research based and practical projects to facilitate knowledge exchange geared towards changing the way we develop, live and work in sustainable communities.
The conference will bring together more than 20 world renowned industry, political and academic leaders to discuss the global challenges facing industry and the solutions to forging new communities on modern urban environments. Featured speakers include Minister of State, Lifelong Learning, Further and Higher Education, Bill Rammell MP, Nick Raynsford MP, Deputy Chairman, Construction Industry Council; Sir Simon Milton, Deputy Mayor of London; Sir Bob Kerslake Chief Executive, Homes and Communities Agency and Peter Bishop; Group Director, London Development Agency (see below for a full list of participants).
UrbanBuzz Programme Director, David Cobb, commented: “It is our responsibility to drive sustainable communities for the future. Academic research and industry practice all too often segregate when they should be moving forward together, challenging accepted practice and sharing knowledge along the way. This conference marks the culmination of a two year programme of doing just that; with 27 projects having worked to push the boundaries of research and look at new ways to establish sustainable urban environments.”