An emerging architecture firm with a quirky name and, more saliently, their own highly distinct architectural language. A life-long builder whose beginnings include collaboration with the esteemed Louis Kahn. And, a builder whose life long dedication to building honors his DNA. An organization synonymous with advancement of diversity in the profession. A visionary restoration of a Los Angeles meeting spot that remains a beacon today. A developer who redefines how Angelenos view supportive housing through design excellence. A building team that realized an ambitious project to redraw our skyline. A writer who communicates her passion for the design process to deepen the public's understanding of architecture. An educator who nurtures next generation practitioners, and advances the profession through his founding of an institution furthering façade technologies. And, an architect known for spaces that initiate curiosity and experience, and whose contributions to materiality, sustainability, public interest architecture and processes hold a lasting influence on the field...
... these are the 2017 American Institute of Architects Los Angeles Chapter Presidential Honorees.
Considered together, these individuals and firms, some practitioners in the field, some advocates for it, demonstrate the transformative nature of architecture-that design excellence serves and improves our region, city, community and the lives of residents.
The 2017 AIA|LA Presidential Honoree recipients are:
- Emerging Practice: Catherine Johnson, AIA; Rebecca Rudolph, AIA | Design, Bitches
- Design Advocate, Builder: Steve Matt, Affiliate AIA|LA, Co-Founder, MATT Construction; and the late Paul Matt, Co-Founder, MATT Construction
- Community Contribution: Southern California Chapter, National Organization of Minority Architects (SoCalNOMA)
- 25-Year Award: Grand Central Market Restoration
- Design Advocate, Developer: Mike Alvidrez, Chief Executive Officer, Skid Row Housing Trust
- Building Team: Wilshire Grand Building Team
- Honorary AIA|LA: Tibby Rothman, Marketing Strategist, AIA|LA | journalist, writer, creative
- Educator Award: Dr. Douglas E. Noble, FAIA, Ph.D; Discipline Head, Building Science, Director of the Master of Building Science, University of Southern California, School of Architecture
- Gold Medal: Lawrence Scarpa, FAIA; Design Principal, Brooks + Scarpa
Conferred by the AIA|LA Board of Directors, the AIA|LA Presidential Honorees program recognizes excellence in design, and individuals whose advocacy or support of the profession make a lasting contribution to the field and to Los Angeles.
"We bestow the 2017 AIA|LA Presidential Honoree awards at time when some of the region's most pressing challenges call on the role of the architect," noted AIA|LA President Douglas Teiger, AIA. "This year's recipients demonstrate our core values as a field, how we as a profession may serve both individual client and society as a whole, in addition to the value of design excellence."
The Presidential Honorees will be celebrated at the chapter's 2017 Annual Design Awards during a ceremony that also announces the 2017 AIA|LA Design Awards in three categories: built and unbuilt projects, and projects that demonstrate excellence in sustainable performance.
The 2017 event takes place on Monday, October, 30, 2017 at the Broad Stage in Santa Monica. The evening kicks-off with a reception at 6PM, followed by an awards ceremony at 7PM. Après-ceremony festivities include a party + dinner + assorted-revelry-activities. For location addresses note the link to the AIA|LA event page below.
For information, ticket purchase, and contact info, use this link:
or visit: www.aialosangeles.org