Chipperfield’s expansion of St. Louis Art Museum to open 29 June

David Chipperfield has designed a new 82,452 sq ft glass pavilion at the St. Louis Art Museum that expands the gallery and public space at the museum by 30% while adding parking for 300 cars and a new accessible entrance.

Constructed of polished concrete with aggregates from the local Missouri River, the East Building, as the structure is known, takes advantage of its spectacular site in Forest Park to which it is connected with a new landscape designed by the French landscape architect Michel Desvigne.

The new wing is connected by a grand staircase to the Museum’s main building, a stately neoclassical building designed by the American architect Cass Gilbert, of Woolworth fame, for the 1904 World’s Fair. The East Wing will open on 29 June with an inaugural exhibition on Post War German Art, a strength of the Museum’s holdings.

Friday 31 May 2013
Traffic in Britain’s cities slower than a horse and cart
Mon 17 Oct 2016
London’s global competiveness at stake warns NLA
Thu 13 Oct 2016
New software aids earthquake recovery
Thu 06 Oct 2016
Perkins+Will commits to Fitwel Certification for North American offices
Wed 05 Oct 2016
Benoy Appoints New Directors
Thu 29 Sep 2016
Biomimicry in Architecture 2nd edition
Fri 23 Sep 2016
2016 AIA|LA Presidential Honourees announced by American Institute of Architects Los Angeles Chapter
Mon 19 Sep 2016
Over 150 architects respond to Homerton College’s celebrating Homerton dining hall competition
Tue 13 Sep 2016