The external and interior renovation of a 1931 hospital in Stanford, California is now complete. Opened in 1931 as the Palo Alto Hospital, the building was designed on the principles of Florence Nightingale’s infection control and broken into small wards to minimise the chance for infection.
Expanded in 1939, the building continued to be used as a hospital until 1959 when Stanford University transformed it into the Hoover Pavilion and began to use the complex for medical offices.
The Hoover Pavilion has now undergone its latest conversion with Tom Eliot Fisch and Page & Turnbull, bringing the aging building up to the latest high-tech standards and in line with the California Green Building Code Tier 1. As the Hoover Pavilion had been gutted during previous renovations, the team was able to remove several interior walls and eliminate the central corridor to realign circulation along the edge of the building. This enabled natural light to flood the interior.
The new interior walls incorporate motifs found on the historic Art Deco exterior. The design team varied materials to create a non-institutional feel, delineate intimate neighbourhoods, and give each space its own identity, with changes to ceiling patterns and carpet colour and texture.